What is it?
An acute (short lived) viral infection which effects the upper respiratory system (nose and throat). It may be spread through the air by droplets expelled through sneezing or through contact, and it typically lasts from five to seven days.
Most common colds are caused by infection by rhinovirus. Other viruses causing colds are coronavirus, human parainfluenza viruses, human respiratory syncytial virus, adenoviruses, enteroviruses, or metapneumovirus. Infection is spread from person to person through direct contact and also by coughing and sneezing.
Although for most people the infection is mild, it can be severe and even deadly in those with compromised immune syetems including children, the elderly and those suffering with some chronic diseases.
Sore throat is sometimes a symptom of a more serious condition distinct from the common cold such as strep throat, which may require medical diagnosis and treatment with appropriate antibiotics. Since it is a viral infection antibiotics are not effective against the common cold.
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Scratchy, sore or phlegmy throat
- Muscle aches
The onset of symptoms is often rapid and intense.
Diet and Lifestyle
– Get plenty of rest. Give your body some down time to help it fight off the cold
– Drink plenty of water and other fluids to maintain hydration
– Take vitamin C
– Take echinacea at the first signs of a cold (3 – 5 ml of liquid formulas or 300mg of powdered supplements) to help clear symptoms faster
– Gargle with warm salt water or saline nasal drops may help alleviate congestion
– Avoid coffee, tea, alcohol or cola drinks that contain caffeine and avoiding alcoholic beverages. Both caffeine and alcohol can cause dehydration
– Avoid all high sugar and fat foods as this further impedes immune function by slowing it down and may affect the course of a common cold or flu
– Avoid strenuous exercise
– Avoid stress as it has been shown to increase the risk of flu infection
Blackmores – Cold Combat
Blackmores – BioZinc
Blackmores – BioC 1000
Blackmores – Echinacea + Garlix
Green Medicine Clear the Way
Blackmores Cold Defence – Kids
Ethical Nutrients Super Multi Plus
**Please note these are general recommendations only, and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor, health practitioner or pharmacist. We highly recommend that you contact your preferred medical practitioner for further testing if symptoms persist