According to the Heart Foundation of Australia, cardiovascular disease, which is the general term for diseases of the heart and blood vessels, is the leading cause of death in Australia.
Roughly a third of deaths in Australia are attributed to cardiovascular disease.
Several risk factors have been strongly linked to cardiovascular disease. These include;
- High blood cholesterol
- Sedentary lifestyle
- High blood pressure
- Overweight or obesity
Symptoms of a heart attack
- Pain or tightness in the chest
- Pain spreading up the arm, neck, shoulder
- Possible nausea or vomiting
- May feel dizzy or light-headed
Dietary & Lifestyle Advice
- First and foremost; remove or reduce risk factors
- Reduce the amount of animal fats in your diet, such as removing the skin and fat from meat
- Switch to low fat varieties of dairy products
- Use monounsaturated oils for cooking such as olive, canola and sunflower in cooking
- Consume around 3 meals a week as lean red meat
- Have a minimum of 3 fish meals per week, canned or fresh
- Limit high fat or sugar snack foods such as chips, biscuits and pastries to just once a week
- Limit take away foods such pizza, creamy pastas or fried foods to just once a week
- Snack on nutritious food such as fruit such as apples and oranges, raw unsalted nuts such as almonds and brazil nuts, and seeds such as pepita and sunflower seeds
- Eat wholegrain or wholemeal breads, cereals, rice and pastas
- Add some peas and beans such as split peas, red kidney beans, baked beans and 3 bean mix to a few meals a week
- Eat 3 moderate sized meals a day – You dinner plate should be made up of a third with lean meat or fish, a third with a variety of vegetables, and a third with some cereals such as rice, wholegrain bread or pasta
- Do some sort of physical activity for at least half and hour on most days – the more fun it is, the more likely you will keep doing it. Try swimming, dancing or walking.
- Limit alcohol to 1-2 standard alcoholic drinks per day with 4 alcohol-free days per week.
- Ethical Nutrients Fish Oil
- Blackmores Omega Heart
- Blackmores Extra C
- Blackmores Policosanol 10
- Ethical Nutrients Super Multi Plus
We recommend a natural, whole food diet that is low in saturated fats, balanced and nutritious.
**Please note these are general recommendations only, and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor, health practitioner or pharmacist. We highly recommend that you contact your preferred medical practitioner for further testing if symptoms persist